Getting to school
Ohlone families are encouraged to walk, bike or carpool to school. Consult Ohlone's Walk and Roll Map to find your best route. Arriving a little earlier to school also helps ease the morning congestion-children may arrive to school starting at 8:00 a.m.
If Commuting by Car
To help reduce car traffic around Ohlone at arrival and dismissal times, consider parking in the neighborhood before entering the school zone. Please be considerate of residents and do not block driveways. Nearby street parking is available on Amarillo near Greer Park, on Greer Road, southbound Louis Road, or surrounding streets. Carpooling whenever possible also helps reduce the numbers of cars in the school zone.
Insider tip: You can park on Colorado Avenue near the Friends Nursery School and enter Ohlone on foot through their parking lot (please do not drive or park on their campus).
Ohlone entrances can be congested at arrival and dismissal. When using the curbside loading zone, please follow these safety guidelines:
- Enter the Drop Off Circle from the Louis direction, and exit to the right towards Greer (SLOWLY, remembering that there is a crosswalk across Amarillo shortly after you exit the drop-off circle).
- Drive all the way to the forward-most available space to allow others to access the loading zone behind you.
- Un/load children only at the designated curbside loading zone.
- After loading or unloading, move your car safely into the passing lane to exit the loading zone.
- The loading zone is for active loading and unloading only. Make sure your child is ready to enter or exit the car as soon as you stop. The driver should not get out of the car.
- Respect the staff and volunteers who direct traffic. Remember to model our Core Values of "Trust and Respect" and "Cooperation and Collaboration".
Prepare your child for smooth unloading:
- Finish conversations and have your children ready with their belongings before you reach the loading area.
- The driver must remain in the car.
- Children must exit the car on the passenger's side only, not the driver's side. Children must be able to exit on their own.
- If you need to get out of the car, find a parking space on the street. Do not use the staff parking spaces.
If Commuting by Bike
Biking is a great way to commute to Ohlone. Many of our families consult the Walk and Roll to School Map to find the best route from your home, and practice your route. A safe biking route may not be the same as your driving route. Once on school grounds (which includes the walkways to the bike racks), please dismount and walk bikes, scooters, and skateboards. Park and lock bicycles at the bike racks located by the front Friendship yard, by the MP Room, in the rear fire lane, or by the 4/5 wing.
If Commuting by Foot
Share your commute by walking with friends. It's a fun and active way to start the day! Choose the safest and most direct route with the fewest street crossings. See the Walk and Roll to School Map for suggested routes. There are crossing guards at the intersection of Louis and Amarillo, and on Colorado at the Friends Nursery School's driveway.